When it comes to cavity protection, technology has significantly increased the ability of dentists to better detect and prevent cavities for their patients.
For example, traditional x-rays are the standard of care in detecting cavities that cannot be seen from the outside surface of the tooth, and work well in detecting cavities that are located in between your teeth. A cavity located on the chewing surface of your tooth is much harder to detect at the early stages.
At Dental Perfections we also use a Diagnodent, a machine that emits a laser beam that lights up areas of the tooth where cavities are present. We rely upon this cutting edge technology in every exam so we can discover cavities when they are small, which minimizes the size of fillings and preserves valuable tooth structure.
In addition to the above techniques, we also use a transilluminator, which is a very bright light that shines through the tooth to helps us determine if the cavity is superficial, can heal through preventative measures or requires a filling.
The American Dental Association recommends the following guidance in preventing cavities. For more information visit Mouthhealthy.org
- Brush twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste.
- Clean between your teeth daily with floss or interdental cleaner.
- Eat nutritious and balanced meals and limit snacking.
- Check with your dentist about the use of supplemental fluoride, which strengthens your teeth, and about use of dental sealants (a plastic protective coating) applied to the chewing surfaces of the back teeth (where decay often starts) to protect them from decay.
- Visit your dentist regularly for professional cleanings and oral examination.
Make an Appointment Today!
If you have any questions about Cavity Detection or would like to make an appointment, please call us at (262) 473-7217 or visit our appointment page to schedule a visit. We look forward to hearing from you!